Below are links for more information about the STS-107 mission, the Columbia mission, and the subsequent recovery and reconstruction.
Articles and Reports:
- Report of the Columbia Accident Investigation Board (CAIB), the independent commission established to identify the cause of the accident and recommend corrective measures.
- Columbia Reconstruction Report, prepared by the Kennedy Space Center team that reconstructed Columbia‘s recovered debris to identify the physical cause of the accident and the likely breakup scenario.
- The Silence and the Salvage, by Lamar Russell, is a first-hand account of a NASA manager from Kennedy Space Center who was involved in the search for Columbia‘s debris.
- Finding Heroes, by Byron Starr, is a moving story told by one of the funeral directors of Hemphill, Texas who participated in the recovery of the remains of Columbia‘s crewmembers.
- High Calling: The Courageous Life and Faith of Space Shuttle Columbia Commander Rick Husband was written by Evelyn Husband, wife of Columbia‘s commander.